Searching the Mind Engine

Custom Search

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Note to the Reader

    In my idealistic world, I fantasize of a place where everyone left some tangible proof of their existence and experience behind; like a book, a painting, or a song for everyone to connect with and learn from their experience. I spend time reading about the biographies of successful world leaders, celebrated figures of the past, and musicians. As a result I think to myself, "Those are real people with real experiences just like me. I can become a success story too." This is my piece that I am giving to the world. I hope that my words give you something to connect with and possibly learn from.

    I've been told many times by my editor, Krystina, not to sound mechanical, condescending, distant and detached from the reader. Over time I have come to understand why she said this so often. I only hope that this blog captures the essence of what we both had envisioned.

    They say, when speaking in front of a group of people that you should imagine them in their underwear. Picture some of the faces that seem to intimidate you in tacky cartoon character underwear. This takes the feeling of embarrassment and anxiety away from you, and in turn, places it upon the group (at least in your imagination). You speak as the expert on the subject and they listen attentively because they know so little about the subject in comparison. I would like to go about this blog a little differently; I would like to be the one to be envisioned in their undergarments, exposed and vulnerable. I want to show you my scars and insecurities. With this, I believe that you will be able see your life within them. As opposed to me lecturing the reader, I would like this blog to read as if it were a conversation between the audience and me.

    This blog in so many ways is a glimpse into what makes us who we are in ways that we already understand and in some ways we hadn't yet imagined. Do not feel put off if there is something you don't initially understand, agree with or if there is something you cannot personally relate to. I would like this blog to be a piece for conversation in schools, coffee shops, book clubs (if they even exist anymore), and casual conversations. I hope to be able to get in touch with you all personally about any comments, insights, or questions you may have about the writings.

    I believe the reason people will read and follow this blog is not due to a feeling of being lost or clueless, but to having found something. Realize that you are already a success story; simply surviving all of the hardships and setbacks that you have experienced is enough to be proud of. It is within ourselves that we will find all of the strength and answers that we desire.

    We are destined to experience moments in our lives that to us will seem nothing less than hopeless. Loneliness and depression may at some point seem to consume all of who and what we are. Trust that these moments are what make us stronger and wiser. They create better character traits within us; we find (after our survival) an ability to give better advice to those in need. These moments make for better conversations over coffee. Did I mention that I love coffee?

4 comments:

  1. This was very well articulated. Based on what we have already accomplished in our own lives there is nothing we can't accomplish. Our dreams are the compass pointing to what we can become. The road we must travel is comprised of Fear, Trial, Failure, Support, Success. It's the latter that we must always focus on. Always strive to be the best and you will. It's time to write your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. It's always an honor to be in the presence of such a famous Blogger. Hope you keep following and commenting.

    I think your comment is very true in so many ways; the fear, the trials, and the ability to focus on your goal are all parts of this journey we call life.

    Oh yeah, by the way stay tuned for DREAMS which will be posted at the end of the week! You'll be able to see one of my art pieces and the deep story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking back through some of the writings and decided to comment. Trials should make us stronger, more compassionate, and better able to help or deal with others. If not then what are we good for...no man is an island. Enick I like what I've read. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks clewistaylor! I'm glad you enjoyed the read. It would only be appropriate to keep this train running.

    ReplyDelete