Searching the Mind Engine

Custom Search

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Women, Sexism and the Eternal Quest for Respect

Unless you've been under a rock for the past few days (or you don't watch SportsCenter religiously, as I do...) you may have heard about the NY Jets' kerfuffle. Sideline reporter Ines Sainz claims that she was sexually harassed last weekend by several Jets players this past Sunday in the locker room. Sexual harassment is something everyone should take seriously, and I know I certainly do. I see it on my job, we train tirelessly about how to handle accusations of sexual harassment and assault, and I think that most people would agree that it isn't a matter to be taken lightly. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the interwebs are ON FIRE -- just look here and here.

Generally, we are taught that the victim wasn't asking for it; I mean, who really ever wants to be touched in an unwarranted and unwelcomed way? Isn't that why it's called harassment and assault? Common knowledge is that whatever the victim did was not an open letter of invitation for people to grope, grab and otherwise provoke the situation. However, Ms Sainz (along with her wardrobe) is being called into question from every possible angle, and the Washington Redskins' Clinton Portis just came under fire for his insensitive comment about the whole ordeal.

This is a big deal, but it is only exacerbated by the fact that early this summer, Debrahlee Lorenzana was fired from her job and believes that it was because she was too sexy.

So, is there something to this? Is it okay to make untoward comments just because a woman is attractive? Was Ms Sainz asking for it?

The floor is open!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Kryssi for your post. As I said before, I think it's perfect. It captures so much of the theme that Escaping The Box symbolizes. Are women discouraged from thinking creatively? was a question that I asked you earlier this year. Your instant response was ,"Yes." Afterwards you bombard me with so many different answers and concepts that showed me a completely different perspective than I had been exposed to.
    I've heard it all. "Women aren't really human." To all of the jokes that guys love to talk about without the presence of women, to seeing books that are title women and men are from totally different planets all together. I think all of these things justify men's lack of sensitivity and appreciation for women every levels.
    As for the situation at hand, this young woman is beautiful - honestly beautiful is an understatement. I think because of this, she is expected to understand that she is going to be perceived as more than sexy or too sexy. She is supposed to understand that she is a SEX OBJECT. Why should she be scrutinized for being attractive? I honestly don't think anything she was wearing was truly in appropriate. The truth is people believe that her body is inappropriate. Because she is so physically attractive she should walk around in the equivalent of an ankle length dress and cap to be taken seriously.
    I think Sexual Harrassment is a huge issue. No one should have to deal with this situation (woman or man).
    I am glad to have you as the Co-Hostess of Escaping the Box. You are a representation of what this blog stands for in everyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I totally agree with what Enick said about super attractiveness not having to equate to wearing Amish clothes.
    While I may not agree with or like Sainz dress or professional attitude, women never ASK for sexual harassment unless the words "please, harass me," come out of their mouths. Our media will never stop blaming the victim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both of you. I hate the idea, however, that a woman needs to hide herself (her body) to be taken seriously. Since when is merit not worth anything anymore? Why must I be covered head to toe so that someone can actually listen to what I'm saying?

    And, Emilee, I completely agree with you -- the victim will always be at a loss. Even an alleged criminal is innocent until proven guilty, so how is it okay to persecute the victim? Sad...

    ReplyDelete