Searching the Mind Engine

Custom Search

Friday, September 17, 2010

You think you know, but you have no idea...

I got on Jezebel today only to find 2 stories: one that made me want to beat someone and another that made me pretty happy as a woman who believes in reproductive rights for ALL women.

The first article makes me cringe, and my heart breaks for this poor child:
"Just when we think we've already heard the worst, a 16-year-old Canadian girl is raped and drugged by a gang of boys and men, and the photos go viral on Facebook."

WHAT. THE. F*&%?! The link to the original story can be found here. If your jaw isn't on the floor; if you don't want to scream and holler in sheer disbelief; if you don't want to just f**k something up, then CONGRATS -- you have no soul! I can't even begin to describe what is wrong with this picture -- how is any of this acceptable? Since when do we further victimize the victim?

The second story made me quite happy, and you can find it here. For those of you who have never heard of her, Melissa Harris Lacewell is a Princeton professor,
and while I don't always agree with her views, I love this! She (most eloquently) outlined her reasons why reproductive freedom IS a big deal, even if you don't necessarily agree with it. So, I say: it's my vagina -- stay out of it.

Talk to me -- you know you want to! Floor. Is. OPEN!

4 comments:

  1. Everything about this incedent - from start to finish - is unacceptable. Why would the idea of gang raping someone be a good idea? What does this say about the person you are and your social life. My heart goes out to this young lady and all others who are victimized physically and sexually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on what you call being sexually victimized. I think someone taking advantage of you & using you sexually is the same diff. Therefore, all should be punished whether it be a criminal act legally or morally

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous -- I agree with that! However, I highly doubt that most people who have ever used anyone sexually would agree with the idea. I just hope that people would learn to be more aware of what they do and how it affects others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! That last sentence is what I have been saying for years. I wish there was some way to force that same question upon people so they will think before they act or react.

    ReplyDelete